An interview with the artist.

How is living in Uruguay?

It`s hard to describe. Kinda quiet, kinda boring, kinda exciting sometimes. It depends. Winter is quite depressing - so it`s a very good time to stay in your home doing productive things and going to some gigs/parties on the weekend. Summer is colourful and you can have a hedonistic-beach-oriented life, there's too much heat to produce anything. Uruguay is a small, almost artificial country, only three million people, most of them very old, because we have a very small birthrate. But, despite all that, I like it here. Uruguay is a new country, with almost no past, no traditions, most of people are of European descent - the very small native population here was very "primitive" and was almost totally erased in the 19th century- so, it`s all about the future here. I see it like a perfect place to start a new civilization.

How did you get started in photography?

At first, I studied Communications and there I took two years of photography, where i learned all the basic things. For many years, I wasn't interested in taking pictures again, but my girlfriend takes a lot of pictures, and now and then I`ve taken her camera to take some. She made me be interested in photography again. One day I saw photos of two friends (Julia Saldain and Julia Corsaro) and I remember clearly the moment that I decided to take pictures again.

What influences your photography?

I like a lot of photographers, but I only started to became interested in them after I started to take pictures. I don’t think they have influenced me as much as cinema.

What do you shoot with?

Most of the time with an Asashi Pentax that belonged to my father. I also used some cheap pocket cameras before they broke.


martincanova.tumblr.com

0 comments: